Monday, September 19, 2011

What's Up


We have 32 students in our class. I miscounted last time. There are so many it’s hard to keep track. J

Field trip October 7, to SFMOMA

Turn in your conference sign ups asap.
Make up pictures Tuesday, September 20.
Community on the Green – September 21 5:30-7:30 4th and 5th graders will be performing
Look for signups for the Fall Festival. Our class is in charge of the Garden booth and Snack stand.
Band will start this week. The students do not need to bring an instrument yet.
A series of reading programs are being offered through CSU Eastbay. The web site is www.csueastbay.readingprograms.org

The Biography posters look wonderful!

One student has presented their poster and I have to say… It is my hope that all students get what he got out of this assignment. He worked hard and felt proud of his work. He discovered that the person he chose was actually more interesting that he first thought, and he learned something new from the person he studied.

Behavior – Our class, called “The New Leaves” by Ms. Forrester, was so happy to receive recognition for our restaurant behavior at the all school assembly. On the down side she did have to talk to us about our behavior in Art class.  I am sure that The New Leaves can change this. On the up side, we got a 5+ in music and are doing well in PE.

Math -  We are working on decimals, converting fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions, placing fractions and decimals on the numberline, multiplying fractions and whole numbers, and multiplying two fractions.

English Language Arts - Theme 1 is Nature’s Fury.
This week we are reading Eye of the Storm.
Strategy focus: question
Comprehension skill: text organization
Word work: syllabication, alphabetical order and guide words in the dictionary, conjunctions, compound sentences, and long vowels
Writing: writing an article using who, what, when, where, how.



Thanks,
Kirsten

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Julin,

    I wanted to say that I really liked the new back-to-school night. It was streamlined, and doing it that way helps the parents get prepared for middle-school (lots of teachers, less cozy classroom feeling, etc - wah, I'll miss those cozy classroom days, but I know they're behind me).

    I also wanted to say that having access to the biography report information on the blog was super helpful toward getting it done and doing it well. When LM tried to tell me he didn't have to such-and-such (during the drafting phase) I pulled up the blog and found otherwise.

    I know that I helped you get this blog off the ground, but you're the one keeping it going by posting and keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this blog-- thank you so much Ms. Julin and Michelle! I see the permission slip for SF MOMA, but is it also supposed to come home in their folders? Are we supposed to print it and bring it in? I can chaperone and drive.
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll send home the permission slip. Just in case it gets lost on the way home I will post them so that parents can either print or write a note giving permission.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. testing, testing -- just making sure that posting without signing in is really working.

    ReplyDelete